The Lord Fairfax “Silver” Chapter was originally organized in 1973 at the U.S. Army Engineer Center and School, Fort Belvoir, Virginia. It has been continuously active since being organized in the founding years of USAWOA, thus the designation as a “Silver” Chapter. The Chapter is named after Lord Fairfax, a historical figure in George Washington’s era.
For many years, the Chapter predominately consisted of Warrant Officers associated with the U.S. Army Engineer Center and School and other Fort Belvoir activities. It met monthly at the Fort Belvoir Officers Club and participated in many post events and youth activities.
During part of this earlier period a Potomac Chapter was activated which serviced the Pentagon and the Military District of Washington. Upon inactivation of the Potomac Chapter most members transferred to the Lord Fairfax “Silver” Chapter.
The Chapter currently meets in the USO Center Sports Lounge on Fort Belvoir the third Wednesday of each month at 1630 hrs.
After the move of the Engineer Center and School to Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri and the inactivation of the Potomac Chapter, the Lord Fairfax “Silver” Chapter moved its meetings to the Hoffman Complex in Alexandria, Virginia to better cover northern Virginia and the District of Columbia. More recently, the Lord Fairfax Silver Chapter absorbed the membership of the former Vint Hill Farms Station and Chapter. Today, Lord Fairfax “Silver” Chapter is the local home of over 200 Association members residing in northern Virginia, southern Maryland, and the District of Columbia. In addition to monthly meetings, the Chapter participates in Warrant Officer Professional Development (WOPD) Seminars, community service projects such as Habitat for Humanity work sites, and hosts specific events at or, in some cases hosted the entire USAWOA Annual Meetings of the Members.